This is a Cape Malay easy to make but very tasty delicacy from South Africa.
3 – 4 tblsp of olive oil
400g meat (I used cutlets)
1 clove of garlic (optional)
2 small green chillies (optional)
1 tin of tomato paste (210g)
1 large sweet potato
½ tsp pink Himalayan salt (to taste)
½ tsp white pepper (to taste)
4 tblsp of xylitol (to taste)
1. Heat the olive oil in a pot on medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and braise until translucent.
3. Now add the meat and braise until it is a lovely brown colour. This is very important for the flavour of the dish.
4. Add the pink Himalayan salt, the white pepper, the chopped chillies and the chopped garlic to the meat and braise for about a minute.
5. Add a cup of warm water and cook until the meat is nice and tender. If necessary, continue to add water and cook until the meat is done.
6. Add the chopped tomato to the meat and braise for approximately 2 minutes before adding the tin of tomato paste. Allow to simmer for another 2 minutes (while continuously stirring).
7. Now add the cubed sweet potato to the pot and blend with the tomato mixture.
8. Add 2 cups of warm water to the pot and allow to cook on medium heat until the sweet potatoes are soft.
9. Add xylitol to taste and then give it a good stir. This step is very important in order to cancel out the acidity of the tomato.
10. Enjoy your delicious Tomato Bredie!
Country: South Africa